Monday, December 22, 2008
I have a few more things I would like to make before Santa comes down our "chimney." Since we don't have a chimney how does Santa get into our house?
The only Christmas preparation I need to finish is wrapping the presents. I am making a new tradition this year to wrap everything with Tim the night before. Partly because I know Sammy would want to unwrap everything if I had it out earlier and I don't really want to fight him on that.
Sammy learned a new life skill on Sunday. He learned how to open doors! So far just the doors that he can turn the knob and push open (versus the ones he has to turn the knob and pull open). So we now have some door knob covers on the doors. They were on for about 3 minutes when Sammy broke the one off of our bedroom door. Tim and I looked at each other like.. Oh no! What are we going to do. We then learned a few hours later that that one door knob cover was just faulty. So we bought a replacement cover and we should be set for a while!
How is everyone's Christmas preparations going?
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Here was my list:
6. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
- Did you finish reading all the books on your fall reading list? If not, why not?
- Did you stick to your original goals or did you change your list as you went along?
- What was your favorite book that you read this fall? Least favorite? Why?
- Did you discover a new author or genre this fall? Did you love them? Not love them?
- What was your favorite thing about the Fall Into Reading challenge?
- Would you like to participate in another challenge here this spring?
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Here is Tim's snowman:
One of the stockings:
My snowman, gingerbread woman, and candy cane and Tim's gingerbread man at the bottom
Tim working hard:
Some trees and our angel in her holiday skirt ;-)
My multi-colored Christmas lights:
Sammy had fun helping me cut out some of the shapes before we baked them a few days ago.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Sammy didn't really have any other symptoms beside this cough. He had a low grade fever on Friday however, we wrote it off as teething. But it just wasn't sitting right with me. My mommy instinct was telling me something was wrong. Well the poor little guy has a sinus and ear infection. We got the antibiotics going this morning. So he should be feeling better in about 10 days.
So instead of dreaming of a white Christmas I am dreaming of an illness free Christmas!
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Last year Sammy didn't really understand what was going on. I am not sure that he completely understands now either what is happening. However, he is very excited about all of the things he sees. He ooohhhs and ahhhs the Christmas lights, he picks candy of the gingerbread house, he asks for cookies. Last night Tim was showing Sammy some of our antique Santa ornaments. We actually chose not to put them on the tree this year to keep them out of reach of his little hands. Sammy pointed to one of the Santas and said Santa! Later this week I hope to take Sammy for his picture with Santa. I know that Santa is not the reason for the season however, I love the magic it holds and all of the memories of childhood.
After looking at the Santa ornaments Tim took Sammy over to our nativity scene. Sammy wanted to touch all of the different people. We were telling him about Jesus' birth and why we celebrate Christmas.
The excitment of the season for us is to see the Christmas season through Sammy's eyes.
Monday, December 15, 2008
When I made ginger bread houses as a kid we always used graham crackers and they were so cute and very edible. This time I went with quick and easy kit from Target. I think we will make them out of graham crackers next time. They were a little to hard to eat but super easy to setup and it held up to a 19 month old "decorating" it.
Sammy found the camera and "hammed" it up!
The finished product:
I'm not sure if Nicia is proud of the finished product or that it is finished and we could eat some of the candy off of it.
Sammy learned real quick that he could steal pieces off it to eat!
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Friday, December 5, 2008
Things have been kinda slow around our house lately so I haven't had much to blog about. We have all been sick.. but didn't want to make everyone read a whiny post about us being sick. Your welcome ;-)
Who ever wants to do this you are tagged how about that :-)
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper for almost everything.. the exception would be really difficult things to wrap that I don't have a box for.
2. Real tree or Artificial? Real and we usually cut it down. However, last year ours died a week before Christmas so we might just buy one this year.
3. When do you put up the tree? The tradition we started last year was the first weekend of December.. so hopefully tomorrow :-)
4. When do you take the tree down? After Christmas but before January 1st. I think last year it was New Years Eve day.
5. Do you like eggnog? Yuck.. but we always buy some for my dad he loves it. We usually do Hot Chocolate!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? hmm I had a lot of great gifts that I remember. I think my favorite might have been my remote control car. My parents had it all charged up and drove it around so I could see it!
7. Hardest person to buy for? It’s a tie between my dad and father-in-law.
8. Easiest person to buy for? Sammy for sure!
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes! My parents got us part of the willow tree one last year for Christmas. They added onto it at my birthday and they told us not to buy any of it. So I suspect we will be getting a piece this year *wink*
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? ooo Mail! started doing rubber stamps last fall and made them last year. They are almost done this year. The plan is to watch a Christmas movie tonight and finish them up.. Then hopefully send them out next week.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? O that would be the white elephant gift I got stuck with :-P
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? hmm growing up it was Home Alone.. but Sammy likes the Polar Express (well he didnt tell me but he watched almost the whole thing so I figured) so it might be watching that or the claymation ones with him this year.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? If I see something good I get it and hide it in my guest bedroom closet. (Mom no peaking)! I try and have it all done atleast a week before Christmas.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I think I might have been guilty of that in college when I was broke. I am not a big lotion fan so I gave it away to someone else shhh dont tell!
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? My Grammy's famous fudge.. however, I dont know how to make it.. HINT: Clare, or Mom can we make some fudge :-)
16. Lights on the tree? Yes but only white lights.. I'm not a big fan of the colored ones.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Jingle Bells
18.Travel at Christmas or stay home? Well this year we are going to my parents Christmas Eve. Then do our thing Christmas morning. Then in the afternoon we usually go over to Tim's parents (they only live 10 minutes away so I wouldn't call that "Travel").
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Yes! I use to be able to recite the whole Night before Christmas poem.. not so much anymore.. but I remember the reindeer.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? A star but I have yet to find the perfect star.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? We open one the night before, this will be the tradition. It will always be a new set of Christmas pjs.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? All of the toy commericals and decorating before Halloween!
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? hmm varity is the spice of life.
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Ham and mashed potatoes. Everything else is just extra :-)
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? hmmm I'm not sure.. I know of a few things that Im getting and Im excited... but whatever is under the tree will be the best :-)
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
We woke up Thanksgiving morning to Tim's cell phone ringing. His Mom called to tell us his grandfather had passed away. He had been sick since Tim and I started dating over 6 years ago. I had never had the opportunity to meet him but we were sad to hear of his passing.
We continued on our plan for the day of going to the lake to spend the day with my family. We got to the lake and had so much fun. We watched the Macy's Day Parade (Go Marching Royal Dukes!) and the AKC dog show. We then ate to much and drove home.
We also got a to see a few deer up close and personal in their backyard.. well until Sheriff Pat got after them.
Friday afternoon most of Tim's family members came over for Thanksgiving at our house. Tim's Mom and one of his sister's headed to Missouri for the funeral and Tim's sister and brother-in-law in Atlanta were not able to make it up. However, we are excited to see them at Christmas.
Tim and I cooked the turkey, stuffing, Ham, gravy, mashed potatoes, and corn pudding. Everyone else brought something with them to go along with the Thanksgiving traditions.
Sammy had fun tasting all of the various dishes that we had there. He loved feeding himself the mashed potatoes.
Thursday, November 27, 2008
1. God, our Father
2. Each other
3. Our Marriage
5. Our Family
6. Our Friends
7. Our Health
8. Our Church
9. Our Provisions
10. Our Jobs
Here is 10 things we never thought we would be thankful for:
2. Teething Tablets
3. Peas and Sammy's deep love for them
4. String Cheese
5. Our Crock-pot
6. Magic Erasers
7. Cabinet Latches
8. Pediatricians with walk-in hours everyday
9. Bath tubs and Sammy's deep love for them
We hope everyone has an amazing Thanksgiving! "I will praise God's name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving. " Psalm 69:30
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Its the 4th Tuesday of the month.. which means 5 minutes for books is hosting the What's on Your Nightstand carnival. Since I am still working on my Fall Into Reading list I have 3 books that I hope to finish before the end of fall. Even if it feels like the middle of the winter here!
1. The Mysterious Benedict Society
2. 90 Minutes in Heaven
3. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
If I finish these 3 books I hope to read these few books next:
1. For Women Only
2. New Moon
3. A Christmas Carol
To check out others are reading go here. What are you reading?
Friday, November 21, 2008
We are excited to have the whole weekend to ourselves. This is the longest we will have left Sammy anywhere but we are both excited :-). We know he will have a blast playing with cousin Bradley, Aunt Clare and Uncle Chris.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
However, today his eyes are looking much better. He is also getting over this nasty cold we all had. Tim and I are suppose to be going to a marriage retreat weekend my sister and brother-in-law gave to us. Hopefully everyone is feeling up to it by Friday :-)
This picture is from a few weeks ago when my parents gave us Clare and I's childhood table and chairs. Sammy loves sitting at it and eating his snack and coloring.
Monday, November 17, 2008
Tomorrow is the memorial service for sweet little Aaden. Please keep them in your prayers. They have a long road ahead of them. I cannot even imagine the pain they are feeling right now. The only thing I can think to do to help is to keep lifting them up for healing and strength.
"The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." Job 1:21 This is just what the Proffitt family is doing through thier tradgedy.
Friday, November 14, 2008
That was basically a full box of Baking Soda.. not so much anymore. So I cleaned up the floor and stripped the pjs off that made him look like pig pen when he walked around because he had a big cloud of dust following him!
Sammy has a cold but he was also showing some signs of a UTI yesterday. So I took him to the pediatrician and he agreed that it was signs of that. So I had the experience of pinning him down while he got a catheter to get a urine sample yesterday. I would not wish that experience on anyone. The results yesterday were clear. They were going to culture it overnight and call me with the results later today. Today he doesn't seem to be as cranky so I will take that as a good sign :-)
Thursday, November 13, 2008
My sister Clare gave me this cool bloggy award! I wanted to pass it along so here are the rules:
1. You have to pass it on to 5 other fabulous blogs in a post.
2. You have to list 5 of your fabulous addictions in the post.
3. You must copy and paste the rules and the instructions below in the post.
Here are 5 of my favorite addictions:
1. Reading.. I have shared this before.. however lately it has been really bad. I will read whatever free second I get!
2. Fruit cups.. not for me but for Sammy. They put a smile on his face and I dont have to cut all of the fruit up :-P
3. Blogging.. I have been on a blogging kick lately.. Im trying to be more consistent with my posts etc.
4. Minty things.. now that we are slowly moving past the pumpkin season.. I am in full swing on buying anything minty like, lattes, Hershey kisses, hot chocolate.. yum!!
5. Decorating.. In the past I have only really decorated for Christmas but now I really want to decorate for all of the seasons.
Here are the 5 fabulous bloggers I want to pass the award on to:
1. Amanda at lifelong playdate she is always sharing such cute stories about her little girl 'Beans' and the transition to motherhood.
2. Janelle at The Wilder Blessings, she just started blogging there and I love her stories about her 2 kids and remembering to be thankful for the little things.
3. The Queen B she is a great story teller. She cracks me up with her stories about her animals, the changing economy, and many others.
4. Jolanthe at No Ordinary Moment, she tells of the life as a mother of 4. Her stories about her son scare me for the future (wink) but crack me up at the same time.
5. Kristen at Team Breslin is one of my sister's friends that I recently meet in person. She is so sweet and fabulous I had to tag her for this award :-)
So now onto one of my addictions.. books!!! I totally just jumped on the Twilight bandwagon! I had always turned my nose up at the book because I was not into vampires or things like that. Then after reading lots of people's post about how they were pleasantly surprise about the book and that they liked it I though well maybe. The Queen B wrote a post about the book. I commented on the post and she wrote back explaining more about the book and what got her hooked. So I said I would give it a try. I have only been reading it off and on for 2 days and I am loving it. I am about halfway through and Im already trying to convince Tim to take me to the movie. However, Clare is about to start to read it so maybe and it can be a girls night to the movies :-). So if you like to read.. and want to try something different I say go for it!
Im going to get back to
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Sammy climbed up on the couch and they were watching as Pooh got stuck in Rabbit's hole. They used the word stuck a bunch of times to describe Pooh's situation. Bradley kept pretending he was stuck between the sofa and the coffee table. However, Sammy seemed to just be taking it all in.
About a week later Sammy started to use the word stuck to describe his toys when he couldn't get them to go where he wanted.
Well this weekend as we were driving back from Penn State Sammy started to get sick of being in his car seat. We had about an hour left in the trip when he started whining. He then started grabbing at his car seat straps and telling us that he was stuck. Tim and I laughed so hard. We then tried to explain how he had to be stuck in his car seat.
Since my father is such a neat-freak I had to share this picture of Sammy on the trip home. We let him eat a Twizzler. Apparently they make a big mess! All of the pink on his face is from the Twizzler.
Monday, November 10, 2008
We all had so much fun that we decided to do it again. This time we meet at State College, PA where one of the families lived. We had fun letting the kids play together. We all brought snacks from the area we live in. One of the ladies brought us some Canadian potato chips!
Sunday, November 9, 2008
1. Bring ear plugs
2. Bring your toddlers favorite foods with you so they eat something other than crackers
3. Try and stay on your toddlers schedule
4. Take lots of pictures
Pictures will follow tomorrow!