Monday, December 22, 2008
I have a few more things I would like to make before Santa comes down our "chimney." Since we don't have a chimney how does Santa get into our house?
The only Christmas preparation I need to finish is wrapping the presents. I am making a new tradition this year to wrap everything with Tim the night before. Partly because I know Sammy would want to unwrap everything if I had it out earlier and I don't really want to fight him on that.
Sammy learned a new life skill on Sunday. He learned how to open doors! So far just the doors that he can turn the knob and push open (versus the ones he has to turn the knob and pull open). So we now have some door knob covers on the doors. They were on for about 3 minutes when Sammy broke the one off of our bedroom door. Tim and I looked at each other like.. Oh no! What are we going to do. We then learned a few hours later that that one door knob cover was just faulty. So we bought a replacement cover and we should be set for a while!
How is everyone's Christmas preparations going?
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Here was my list:
6. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
- Did you finish reading all the books on your fall reading list? If not, why not?
- Did you stick to your original goals or did you change your list as you went along?
- What was your favorite book that you read this fall? Least favorite? Why?
- Did you discover a new author or genre this fall? Did you love them? Not love them?
- What was your favorite thing about the Fall Into Reading challenge?
- Would you like to participate in another challenge here this spring?
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Here is Tim's snowman:
One of the stockings:
My snowman, gingerbread woman, and candy cane and Tim's gingerbread man at the bottom
Tim working hard:
Some trees and our angel in her holiday skirt ;-)
My multi-colored Christmas lights:
Sammy had fun helping me cut out some of the shapes before we baked them a few days ago.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Sammy didn't really have any other symptoms beside this cough. He had a low grade fever on Friday however, we wrote it off as teething. But it just wasn't sitting right with me. My mommy instinct was telling me something was wrong. Well the poor little guy has a sinus and ear infection. We got the antibiotics going this morning. So he should be feeling better in about 10 days.
So instead of dreaming of a white Christmas I am dreaming of an illness free Christmas!
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Last year Sammy didn't really understand what was going on. I am not sure that he completely understands now either what is happening. However, he is very excited about all of the things he sees. He ooohhhs and ahhhs the Christmas lights, he picks candy of the gingerbread house, he asks for cookies. Last night Tim was showing Sammy some of our antique Santa ornaments. We actually chose not to put them on the tree this year to keep them out of reach of his little hands. Sammy pointed to one of the Santas and said Santa! Later this week I hope to take Sammy for his picture with Santa. I know that Santa is not the reason for the season however, I love the magic it holds and all of the memories of childhood.
After looking at the Santa ornaments Tim took Sammy over to our nativity scene. Sammy wanted to touch all of the different people. We were telling him about Jesus' birth and why we celebrate Christmas.
The excitment of the season for us is to see the Christmas season through Sammy's eyes.
Monday, December 15, 2008
When I made ginger bread houses as a kid we always used graham crackers and they were so cute and very edible. This time I went with quick and easy kit from Target. I think we will make them out of graham crackers next time. They were a little to hard to eat but super easy to setup and it held up to a 19 month old "decorating" it.
Sammy found the camera and "hammed" it up!
The finished product:
I'm not sure if Nicia is proud of the finished product or that it is finished and we could eat some of the candy off of it.
Sammy learned real quick that he could steal pieces off it to eat!
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Friday, December 5, 2008
Things have been kinda slow around our house lately so I haven't had much to blog about. We have all been sick.. but didn't want to make everyone read a whiny post about us being sick. Your welcome ;-)
Who ever wants to do this you are tagged how about that :-)
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper for almost everything.. the exception would be really difficult things to wrap that I don't have a box for.
2. Real tree or Artificial? Real and we usually cut it down. However, last year ours died a week before Christmas so we might just buy one this year.
3. When do you put up the tree? The tradition we started last year was the first weekend of December.. so hopefully tomorrow :-)
4. When do you take the tree down? After Christmas but before January 1st. I think last year it was New Years Eve day.
5. Do you like eggnog? Yuck.. but we always buy some for my dad he loves it. We usually do Hot Chocolate!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? hmm I had a lot of great gifts that I remember. I think my favorite might have been my remote control car. My parents had it all charged up and drove it around so I could see it!
7. Hardest person to buy for? It’s a tie between my dad and father-in-law.
8. Easiest person to buy for? Sammy for sure!
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes! My parents got us part of the willow tree one last year for Christmas. They added onto it at my birthday and they told us not to buy any of it. So I suspect we will be getting a piece this year *wink*
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? ooo Mail! started doing rubber stamps last fall and made them last year. They are almost done this year. The plan is to watch a Christmas movie tonight and finish them up.. Then hopefully send them out next week.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? O that would be the white elephant gift I got stuck with :-P
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? hmm growing up it was Home Alone.. but Sammy likes the Polar Express (well he didnt tell me but he watched almost the whole thing so I figured) so it might be watching that or the claymation ones with him this year.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? If I see something good I get it and hide it in my guest bedroom closet. (Mom no peaking)! I try and have it all done atleast a week before Christmas.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I think I might have been guilty of that in college when I was broke. I am not a big lotion fan so I gave it away to someone else shhh dont tell!
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? My Grammy's famous fudge.. however, I dont know how to make it.. HINT: Clare, or Mom can we make some fudge :-)
16. Lights on the tree? Yes but only white lights.. I'm not a big fan of the colored ones.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Jingle Bells
18.Travel at Christmas or stay home? Well this year we are going to my parents Christmas Eve. Then do our thing Christmas morning. Then in the afternoon we usually go over to Tim's parents (they only live 10 minutes away so I wouldn't call that "Travel").
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Yes! I use to be able to recite the whole Night before Christmas poem.. not so much anymore.. but I remember the reindeer.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? A star but I have yet to find the perfect star.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? We open one the night before, this will be the tradition. It will always be a new set of Christmas pjs.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? All of the toy commericals and decorating before Halloween!
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? hmm varity is the spice of life.
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Ham and mashed potatoes. Everything else is just extra :-)
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? hmmm I'm not sure.. I know of a few things that Im getting and Im excited... but whatever is under the tree will be the best :-)
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
We woke up Thanksgiving morning to Tim's cell phone ringing. His Mom called to tell us his grandfather had passed away. He had been sick since Tim and I started dating over 6 years ago. I had never had the opportunity to meet him but we were sad to hear of his passing.
We continued on our plan for the day of going to the lake to spend the day with my family. We got to the lake and had so much fun. We watched the Macy's Day Parade (Go Marching Royal Dukes!) and the AKC dog show. We then ate to much and drove home.
We also got a to see a few deer up close and personal in their backyard.. well until Sheriff Pat got after them.
Friday afternoon most of Tim's family members came over for Thanksgiving at our house. Tim's Mom and one of his sister's headed to Missouri for the funeral and Tim's sister and brother-in-law in Atlanta were not able to make it up. However, we are excited to see them at Christmas.
Tim and I cooked the turkey, stuffing, Ham, gravy, mashed potatoes, and corn pudding. Everyone else brought something with them to go along with the Thanksgiving traditions.
Sammy had fun tasting all of the various dishes that we had there. He loved feeding himself the mashed potatoes.