Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ahoy Matey! Sammy's Pirate Party!

Sammy had a pirate party for his 5th birthday party and I had a ton of fun decorating and coming up with witty names for the food ;-)!  My good bloggy friend Melissa (and here) was so super generous and sent me some pirate decorations.  Her daughter Molly had a pirate party earlier in the month and she mailed me so many AMAZING decorations and gave me tons of ideas!  Thanks Melissa you are amazing and I am blessed to have you in my life!

The food table:

DSC_0242

I always say I will do a better job getting pictures of the decorations.. then I fail.. usually miserably.  This year I did better but not great :-P Here is a picture of the Happy Birthday banner I made for the party.  I found a free pirate font online and printed out the letters. I then cut them out and burned the edges and mounted them on some cardstock:

DSC_0243

Shark Bait - also known as gold fish:

DSC_0245

Polly's Crackers and Cheese - I loved this pre-sliced assortment of cheese from Costco:

DSC_0246

Berry'd Treasure Fruit Salad - watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, blueberries and strawberries):

DSC_0247

Pirate Crunch - Doritos - I tried to use food that Sammy loves and these are definitely one of his favorites:

DSC_0248

We got our cake at Costco since we had such a large party.  I made it piratey by adding some pieces from a Pirates Toob.  The pirate candles came from Melissa :-)

DSC_0249

Possibly my favorite name of food.. Heave Ho Hummus:

DSC_0250

My best friend Katie generously offered to make me a veggie platter.  Thanks so much Katie you are an amazing friend!  Walk the Plank Veggies:

DSC_0251

 

Cap'n Sammy blowing out his candles:

DSC_0259

He was happy that he blew them all out:

DSC_0265

We had a treasure map to find the pirate loot (party favors) at the end of the party.  One of the clues was to find Peg Leg Pop Pop (my Dad) and he would point them towards the loot.  I tried to get a picture of Sammy with my Dad in the crazy piratey hat I made him:

DSC_0272DSC_0274

We had AMAZING weather (thank goodness).  We had a cute pirate banner over the sliding glass door to the back deck.  This came from Melissa too :-)

DSC_0276

Opening up their pirate loot:

DSC_0279

Some of our friends hanging out on the back deck:

DSC_0282DSC_0283

My Dad with his hat and two eye patches.  The black tubes were telescopes that Tim and I made with old plotter paper rolls from Tim's office:

DSC_0286

Some of you might recognize this cutie.. she was so sweet and did lots of magic tricks for the kids:

DSC_0287

Sammy got so many amazing gifts and is still having fun learning all of them.  This one is definitely one of his favorite.. his own camera.. look for posts in the future from Sammy's camera ;-)

DSC_0288

My mom made Sammy this cute music pillow case and an amazing blanket with his name on it.  He has slept with it every night since the party! (I need to get a picture of the blanket it is too cute not to share!

DSC_0289

We waited until things died down some before we opened presents.  Sammy was getting pretty tired at this point but had fun opening presents and handing out hugs as thanks.  Nicia got Sammy some Nerf guns.. she promises to come over an have a fight with him!

DSC_0312

Spiderman dress up mask definitely made him smile:

DSC_0313

Sammy loves stuffed puppies and this one has hardly left his side:

DSC_0317

This kid loves games and he has played these games several times:

DSC_0327

Melissa sent me the Ahoy banner and my parents were kind enough to let us borrow this sailboat to finish off the top of the china cabinet.  They also lent us a pirate garden flag and a HUGE pirate flag for our flag pole:

DSC_0339DSC_0340

Here was the treasure map.  I didn't get any pictures of the hunt but Sammy said he had a lot of fun.  They had to walk the plank and go out through the backyard and find the big flag.  Then go in the door with an X on it and find my Dad with his hat.  He then told them where to find the loot:

DSC_0341