Friday, July 27, 2012

Udvar-Hazy Space Museum

Sammy and I did a day trip up to the  Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum in Dulles, VA.  We had the greatest time!!  I want to go again really soon and spend even more time there.  The museum is free and you just pay $15 for parking (to help pay off the building fund).  There was so much to see there I think we just scratched the surface.  The museum is located near Dulles Airport and is in the flight landing pattern.  They have this beautiful observation tower you can go up in (we didn’t do that the day we were there):
DSC_0224
Sammy thought these were just like the ones at Target Winking smile
DSC_0225
There are several sections of this museum some you can see from up high and the planes look like they are flying and others you can get really close down on the ground.  Hopefully I don’t bore you guys with too many pictures.  Sammy loved telling me which one was his favorite.. which changed several times during the trip.
DSC_0227
Taking in the whole small plan wing from up top.  Since Tim couldn’t come this time we made sure to take a lot of pictures together so he could see what we did! 
DSC_0231
Flying upside down (this was hanging way above us):
DSC_0233
Let me tell you a little tidbit about myself.. when I was a kid I wanted to be an pilot for the Navy.  This may or may not have to do with the sheer number of times my sister made me watch Top Gun Winking smile.  How cool would it have been to fly in some of these planes!
DSC_0234
One of Sammy’s favorites because it lands on water and it was yellow:
DSC_0236
I channeled some of my inner photographer skills.. what do you think:
DSC_0237
Sammy’s favorite helicopter.. yes it was yellow too:
DSC_0238
There were some really old helicopters there and it was cool to see how they have improved over the years.  I have seen this with the planes all growing up but hadn’t seen old helicopters before.
DSC_0240
Look at this crazy Marine helicopter.. the only thing holding you on is a seat belt:
DSC_0242
This museum is HUGE.. you could spend a whole day there!
DSC_0243
DSC_0244
This is the bottom of the Concord and a picture of the cockpit:
DSC_0245
I am pretty sure Sammy wanted to take all of these home with him to play:
DSC_0246
Anyone recognize this plane:
DSC_0249
Next up we went to the space wing.. this completely blew me away and gave me chills.  This is one of the actual discovery space shuttles that want into space:
DSC_0251DSC_0253DSC_0254
Talk about size comparison.. we had to back up a ton just to fit its wingspan into the shot:
DSC_0257
Some of the other space gear.  Sammy thought it was really cool that all of the stuff had been in outer space. 
DSC_0258
He loved watching the videos about the different exhibit pieces:
DSC_0259DSC_0260
This however was Sammy’s hands down favorite thing.  After looking at a few planes he would find one of these and want to see the view from the cockpit.  You can then click and swivel the view around all over the place to see where the pilot sat and what they could see:
DSC_0263
Sammy’s souvenir from the day.. a biplane:
DSC_0265
We went to the iMAX theater and watched a fighter pilot movie before we left.  It was truly an incredible day filled with so much learning and fun!  Leaving the museum:
DSC_0266