Friday, January 25, 2013
Sammy and I played word bingo several times this week. He loved the games and I realized how fast he can read 3 letter words!
I realized we were in a school rut and hadn’t been doing very many fun crafts! I fixed that week with this fun cotton ball snowman. We made this while sitting next to our craft cabinet. We pulled things out of our stash to make a pretty cute snowman. We used cotton balls, googly eyes, two pipe cleaners twisted together, glitter clue, and a dyed orange noodle for the nose.
In science we learned about how the earth turns and this changes it from day to night. We used a candle to represent the sun and then we put a post it note on the earth where we live. As we turned the earth we said weather it was daytime or night time.
We have been using Homeschool Creations’ The Mitten printables. After reading the story we did the which one is different page:
We also went roller skating for the first time! Sammy thought this was so much fun and we will certainly be going again!
Thursday, January 24, 2013
Sammy and one of his buddies out in the middle of the roller skating rink:
I asked Sammy if I could take his picture. He said sure but was more focused on the arcade games behind me:
Sammy and his buddy Kaleb (not wanting their picture taken):
Sammy loved everything about roller skating.. the music, the lights, the friends, and the exercise:
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
51. Football – even if my Skins aren’t in the playoffs anymore.
52. Date Day – My parents took Sammy to the water park near our house on Saturday. Tim and I had so much fun running errands and doing some fun shopping. Thanks Mom and Dad!
53. Growing boy – Sammy was super brave at the water park and went down the big water slides (the ones you can’t use a life vest with) and he LOVED them!
54. Growing boy – We bought Sammy some new sneakers.. He was wearing size 11 and his new ones are size 13!! Sad news is they are lace ups.. Someone will be learning to tie his shoes *winks*.
55. Finances – to pay for things we need (food, new shoes for Sammy and Tim, electricity, etc.) and for fun things (a case for Tim’s bass, eating out this weekend, and gas to do fun things around town).
56. Time to Read – currently reading The Mark of Athena – yes it’s a teen book, but my sister-in-law lent it to me and its a fun read.
57. Nerdy Husbands – I say that out of love and the fact that I am nerdy too.. but he loves working on things and I love the fruit of his labor!
58. Bad Piggies – Sammy loves this game, and it’s amazing what he can learn from building things to beat the levels.
59. Survivor- I love that TV show.. I know its old, but it is pretty much the only show I consistently watch.
60. Mr. Popper’s Penguins – Sammy is loving this book and so am I!
Monday, January 21, 2013
First I had Sammy look at what a real silkworm cocoon looked like and how small the threads are. I then took some yarn (since that would be easier to untangle then real silk) and I made a cocoon. I simply did this by wrapping the yarn around my finger. Then I took my finger out and gave it to Sammy for him to unravel.
It started out going pretty good and I wondered if my experiment wasn’t going to work to demonstrate how hard it would be to unwind silk.
But soon it got pretty tangled:
Sammy showing me the gigantic knot he made in the yarn (his face is priceless here):
I would say this experiment was a success. Sammy realized how hard it must have been and therefore how valuable the silk thread would have been to the Chinese people and why it was so important to them to keep it a secret.
Sunday, January 20, 2013
January 14, 2013
Mondays are long days for our family. It is the day I work (in the office) and we go a million different directions. Here is Tim on one of those crazy days after getting Sammy to bed!
January 15, 2013
January 16, 2013
We are learning about the earth in our science club. Katie had them all lined up on the sofa to listen to a story and they looked too cute to not take a picture of them!
January 17, 2013
Sammy’s favorite stuffed puppy looked really dirty and smelled awful. I was afraid to wash him because I thought it might ruin him. But I couldn’t take it any longer. So we put him in the washing machine and now he is like a new puppy!
January 18, 2013
Homeschool day at the roller skating rink. This was Sammy’s first time on roller skates and he did an amazing job. We will certainly be going to the next roller skate day!
January 19, 2013
Okay that’s a lie.. I actually took the picture today (January 20th) but I planned to take this picture yesterday. Tim’s sister was over and we played board games until really late into the night and had so much fun! I completely forgot to take this picture! On the shelf is all of Tim and I’s games. On the floor under the shelf are all of the kid games (it makes it easier for Sammy to put them away).
January 20, 2013
My poor sick boy! He has gone down hill today and is feeling pretty yucky. With Sammy’s complexion we can tell when he is getting sick he gets these red chapped cheeks. They just look so painful to me!
Friday, January 18, 2013
So looking back through our school posts from this year I have a lot of pictures of Sammy working at his desk. He doesn’t spend very much time there.. it is just when he is still so I can get pictures easier. I am going to work to do a better job of taking pictures of Sammy during more of our moving around activities!
Sammy working on his handwriting page. He had to draw in his face:
Sammy working on his Explode the Code book 1.5 with his pups watching:
We finished up our science club weather unit. I had this sticker book of Max and Ruby playing in the different seasons. So we did that and talked about the things we had learned during our weather unit:
Check out what other Kindergarteners are doing during school time at Homeschool Creations.
Thursday, January 17, 2013
Tim’s brother’s family got sick with the flu the day after Christmas and weren’t able to make it down until last weekend. The weather was amazing for January in Virginia, a beautiful 70 degree day. We had fun shooting off the stomp rocket in Tim’s parent’s front yard before having lunch and opening presents.
The two oldest cousins having fun with the stomp rocket:
Sammy got that one way up there (can you find it?):
We tried to get a picture of all three cousins.. but the sun was bright and they didn’t want to cooperate.. still turned out kinda cute:
I gave Sammy some of my old sun glasses out of the car in hopes of getting a picture of them on the swing:
This is the best one I got:
Kylee opening disney princess fingernail polish from Sammy:
Sammy opening his new game spot it:
Kira opening bath toys from us:
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
41. The fresh start a new year gives us
42. An unseasonable warm weekend (hello 70 in January!)
43. Extended Christmas – Some of Tim’s family was sick over Christmas so we got to celebrate with them this past weekend. We also got to celebrate with some good friends this weekend too.
44. My Grandmother’s bookshelf – My Dad brought this by a few weeks ago. It looks beautiful in our family room and gave us tons of extra room for our homeschool materials. I will try and get a picture soon to share with you.
45. A five year old that did awesome at his 2nd dentist appointment and all of his teeth looked great!
46. That same sweet five year old that was tired during quite time and covered himself up and took a nap (must be the dark rainy day it is making me want to take a nap as well)!
47. Awesome curriculum that makes teaching a child to read so easy and enjoyable! We love All About Reading and need to order level 2 soon!
48. Warm fuzzy blankets and mint hot chocolate
49. A house to keep the rain off our heads and keep us warm
50. Getting books in the mail
Monday, January 14, 2013
January 7, 2013
Sammy playing Wii Resort (we got it in the mail that day)!
January 8, 2013
Sammy working on his school work with his favorite puppies watching (the orange one is named Fetch and his all time favorite one is Baby Scratchy).
January 9, 2013
I gave Sammy a haircut and fixed his hair up into a faux hawk before bed!
January 10, 2013
Sammy working on his seasons review with a Max and Ruby sticker book.
January 11, 2013
Popping some corn with my Christmas present for a late evening snack.
January 12, 2013
Some cousin time out at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. We did our Christmas celebration with Tim’s brother’s family on Saturday. It was 70 degrees outside and amazing! Sammy was wearing my sunglasses ;-)
January 13, 2012
This is what you can find Sammy doing when we are tearing down after church (our church doesn’t have a building so we setup and tear down each week). Sammy finds a comfy spot and a friend and plays the Xoom with them.. or they chase each other around the auditorium!
Friday, January 11, 2013
1. Homemade Gifts: I picked my 2 gifts to make for this month. I am going to make 2 drawstring bags. I might make these for all of the kiddos on my list. For now I am going to make one for my nephew and one for Sammy. If they turn out cute I will make some with girl colors!
2. Deep Clean the Kitchen – I made a checklist of things to clean in kitchen. I have done a few of the items on the list. I need to work on the cabinets soon since its the most time consuming.
3. Print Pictures: I haven’t worked on this yet. However, we got a new server so working on this will be much easier now!
This year we made fondue for New Year’s Eve. It was so much fun! I hope to make this a new tradition going forward. We had strawberries (not pictured), bananas, graham crackers, marshmallows, and pretzels. Our fondue was dark chocolate and soooo delicious!!
The rest of New Year’s Eve was pretty traditional. We played lots of games and had fun hanging out and telling funny stories!
Thursday, January 10, 2013
After we finished opening presents we headed over to Tim’s parents to celebrate with his family. Tim’s sister drew Tim’s name in the gift exchange and she helped me get Tim’s big gift this year. We got Tim a bass direct box with distortion pedal:
Tim’s dad always said you couldn’t take the slim out of okra so one of his sister’s got him some okra chips to try.. we all tried them.. they certainly got slimy when you ate them ;-)
Becca opening some presents:
That is me thumbs downing Nicia’s steelers t-shirt:
Tim drew Nicia’s name this year and we had fun finding gifts for her. I think she loved them all:
Me opening up one my gifts. I love practical gifts and I got some great ones this year. I think I was opening a butter dish.. can you believe I only had a really fancy silver one from my grandmother! Sammy checking out some of the levers on his new imaginext space rover:
I think one of the highlights for me was watching Sammy read the tags on his gifts and find the people that the gift was from in the room:
A super cool 3-D dinosaur puzzle from grandma and grandpa:
This was the year of swords for Sammy and man have they been put to use. I am just glad this came with two so we can defend ourselves:
This was the first year that we put Sammy’s name into the rotation. He drew Aunt Reatha’s name and he had so much fun picking gifts for her. I, unfortunately, did not get a picture of her with his presents. But he picked out a really pretty scarf and some jewelry for her. I told him what we were going to get but he picked out the gifts and I am so proud of him. He really thought about the colors that Reatha wears and picked out some really pretty gifts!
Some Christmas chaos :-)
Sammy found a comfy seat while Greg opened his gifts:
Not a flattering picture at all.. but loved it to much not to share. We were hanging out and enjoying our time with family: