Friday, November 1, 2013

Sammy’s Saga–Part 3 - Antibiotics and Blood

You can read Part 1 and Part 2 here.

Sammy's Saga

We walk into the local hospital with our order for blood cultures.  After I found Sammy’s misplaced insurance card, they brought him right back to get his blood drawn.  In this picture, you can see the scarlet fever rash on his face:

2013-10-22 17.06.56

Sammy was not excited about getting his blood drawn, to say the least.  They were training the nurse who was there in the lab.  There was a lot of discussion about how many tubes they needed, if they needed it from multiple sites, etc.  Sammy was cued in on what they were talking about, and would cry or whimper with each discussion.  Tim’s phone to the rescue!!

After the blood was drawn and after the tears and screams, we headed back out to our cars! Tim and Sammy headed home in Tim’s car while I drove over to Target to get the prescription filled and pick up a few supplies while I was there. 

I filled in my parents, Tim’s parents, and my sister about what was going on.  I got Gatorade since that was pretty much the only thing Sammy would eat or drink. I found Sammy’s favorite show (currently) on DVD! I picked that up hoping it would help with the relax and recover!

2013-10-22 17.40.35

I picked up the prescription and headed home.  I called Tim to let him know I was on my way home.  While I was on the phone with him, the doctor called me with the blood results. Part 4 is coming tomorrow!