Saturday, November 2, 2013

Sammy’s Saga–Part 4– The ER

If you are just tuning into this series you should read part 1, part 2, and part 3.

Sammy's Saga

I answer the phone call from the doctor’s office.  The results showed that he had inflammation and that his white blood cell count would be on the rise.  Since Sammy was acting out of character, and the results were pointing to something else going on, she wanted us to head to the hospital.

Not just any hospital, but the one with a better children’s department an hour from our house.  Our doctor called ahead to talk to the hospital about Sammy’s case and get them ready for us.  Since it isn’t her practicing hospital, she couldn’t have us admitted directly, so we had to go through the Emergency Room.  So after quickly packing (and not thinking things through enough) we were off to the hospital!  I finally got Sammy to drink some Gatorade on the way.  Can you guess what color it was *winks*?

2013-10-22 19.12.07

He felt as bad as he looked in this picture!! His breathing sounded pretty labored on the way to the hospital so I was glad it was only an hour away!!

Once we got to the hospital, Tim dropped Sammy and I off at the emergency room while he went to park the car.  I carried Sammy into the ER to register him and thankfully was able to put him in a wheel chair.  Holding a 45 pound child (that can’t hold up his own weight in anyway) with a 105 fever and that hurts all over his body is very challenging!  Yes, you read that correct, when we got to the ER his fever was 105.

I got Sammy checked in and seen by a nurse pretty quickly.  Tim joined me while I was answering questions about what was going on with Sammy.  He told me he saw my parents on his way into the hospital.  There is something so comforting knowing that your parents are there.  Even when they are incapable of helping Sammy feel better, it was nice to know they were there to support us!  My wonderful sister also planned to come to the hospital.  I told her to stay home with her kiddos, though, so she wouldn’t get sick, and I didn’t know how long it would take us to get a room!

We moved out of the triage area and into the waiting room.  Sammy hardly moved and didn’t speak the whole time.  I am not even sure he knew my parents were there.  We didn’t have to wait long before they called us back into the pediatric ER.

After assessing Sammy, they wanted to draw some more blood for their own blood cultures.  After drawing blood, they were able to use the same site for his IV and got some fluids going.  Since his fever was so high, they did an EKG to make sure his heart was doing okay.

2013-10-22 20.58.38

Thankfully his heart looked fine!  They got him some more ibuprofen, and his fever started to respond to the medicine!!  The ER started the process to get Sammy admitted to the hospital!  Part 5 coming tomorrow!