Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sammy’s Saga–Part 5–Quarantined

If you are new to this series start by reading part 1, part 2, part 3 and part 4.

Sammy's Saga

By 11pm, we were up in Sammy’s room getting settled after waking up his whole wing when we moved him from the ER bed to the one for his room.  We also learned that we were on quarantine and everyone that entered his room would have to wear paper gowns and a mask to even enter the room (more on this later).  Sammy started his antibiotic that night for his strep throat and scarlet fever.

I think Sammy went to bed around midnight after watching some questionable TV show on Disney about zombies! 

2013-10-22 22.19.39

The room was equipped with one “recliner” and a wooden chair, so Tim and I chased sleep all night.  Also, since Sammy was on so many fluids, there were a lot of bathroom breaks!

2013-10-25 12.15.14

Anytime Sammy’s fever would creep back up into the 103-104 range, he would often blurt things out!  It would startle Tim and I out of whatever sleep we were in.  Sammy would be back asleep in 2 seconds snoring while Tim and I would have to try to find sleep again.  Sometimes we would text each other messages to pass the time and keep from waking Sammy.    At one point Tim texted me, “I want to ride a pony.”  I had a good, solid, much needed laugh.  In my opinion, laughter really is a great medicine, especially for stress!!

After I had only gotten probably an hour of actual sleep, the doctors began to round.  Everyone that entered wanted to give him a full evaluation, which included lots of touching and moving of joints and many tears! 

The hospital we were at is a teaching hospital.  Which means that there were LOTS of doctors and LOTS of groups involved in his case.  We saw a group of regular pediatric doctors (a day group and a night group), a group of orthopedists, a group of cardiologists, and an infections disease group. 

Every time anyone would enter, they would suit up.  This was mostly because there were other children in that wing who were there receiving chemotherapy.  Since these children’s immune systems weren’t very strong, the doctors had to make sure not to bring any germs into their rooms or the common areas.

There was lots of information being thrown at us and lots of things they needed to check out to rule out some even more major things.  One thing that they did know was that the blood culture from our local hospital was growing something and that he had something in his blood, and this was what was making him so sick! But what was growing exactly, and how serious was it?  Was it just in his blood or had it moved to his heart and/or bones?  Find out tomorrow!